Rectangles get a bit of a bum deal when it comes to style guides. There are so many style tips and tricks available for pear and apple shaped women but much less information for rectangles. First off what exactly do we mean by a rectangle body shape? A rectangle body shape is defined by being pretty much straight up and down, the hips and the shoulders are roughly the same size, the bust is small or average and the waist is not defined. You may have heard this body shape described as boyish or waifish.
The great news for slender rectangles is that you are a clothes horse for high fashion. Catwalk styles look great on you because a lot of models have a rectangle type body shape. the bad news is it can be harder to rock a feminine look and you have to work harder than some to create curves. Like all style challenges we have a fix for that! Check out our top tips for rectangle body shapes below!
Best Clothes for Rectangle Body Shapes
The best clothes for rectangles add interest and curve appeal. So think about jackets with padded shoulders, tops with texture and interest, tulip or A-Line skirts and peg leg trousers with a little volume around the hips. This opens up a whole world of interesting style choices for rectangles but bear in mind that all this added curve appeal shouldn’t extend to your waist. Cinch in with a belt or go for styles that gather and fit snugly around this area. Combined with volume in other areas you will create a womanly, show stopping figure!
Style Do’s and Don’ts for Rectangle Body Shapes
- Pick tops with detailing around the shoulders and chest to create volume and balance
- Invest in a couple of great waist belts to emphasise a defined waist
- Go for it with accessories and colour to create a feminine finish
- Pick skirts and trousers with shape such as boot cut, boyfriend, tulip and A-line
- Chose straight lines styles from head to toe like long line maxi dresses
- Choose jackets or tops that are baggy around the waist area
- Pick high necklines that emphasise a smaller chest
- Wear shift dresses or tunics that emphasise a straight up and down figure
Celebrity Rectangle Body Shape Inspiration
Rectangles have some seriously cool celeb fashion buddies to look to for inspiration. Celebrities with rectangle body shapes include Cameron Diaz, Anne Hathaway and Nicole Kidman who are all utter style icons. Check out their best red carpet hits to get some inspiration for your own rectangle dressing. We hope our guide to dressing your rectangle body shape has helped you to make some incredible style choices and work it like a seriously fashion forward rectangle. We think this is one of the most versatile body shapes, so have a little fashion fun and dress it like a pro.