Being on the short side can create a big shopping challenge. Finding trousers that don’t drown you, waist lines that actually hit your waist and dresses that don’t make you feel like you have raided your mum’s wardrobe can all be problems. Throw into that mix some gorgeous curves and you’ve hit upon one of the hardest body shapes to dress. There are a few fashion hacks that can help all you short curvy girls flatter your assets whilst disguising problem areas. Check out our favourite style fixes for this body shape.
Picking a Knockout Dress
A great dress can work really well on a short curvy woman. It creates an unbroken streamlined silhouette and will flatter and define curves. Look for styles the hit just above the knee. Petite ladies can work in a slightly shorter skirt and showing a little more leg will elongate your figure. Look for structured fabrics that provide support rather than clinging and create a defined waistline with a cropped jacket or belt, this will add femininity to your look.
Choosing Flattering Jeans
Every girl needs a go to pair of jeans that work really well whatever the occasion. Flares or wide leg styles will shorten your body and can drown a petite frame. Narrow structured styles are a more flattering option, especially cropped styles that flash a little ankle and have the effect of lengthening your frame. This is also a great style cheat. Roll up a leg for a fashion forward cuffed style without battling with the sewing machine.
Stick to Simple Colours and Patterns
A busy bold pattern can overwhelm a short body type and make you look larger than you are. By sticking to a simple palate of natural blacks, greys and nudes you will create a more streamlined and elegant shape. Inject bolder colours with accessories and if you choose opt for pattern go for simple, geometric designs.
Quick Hit Style Tips
- Always create a defined waist – Use a cropped jacket or knockout belt to cinch it in.
- Cuff it – Roll jeans and chinos for a cute off duty look.
- Find a Great Petite Range – Lots of shops offer a specific range designed to cater to a petite frame. Try a few to discover what works for you.
- Keep Skirts above the Knee – The extra flesh inches will lengthen your legs.
- Stick to Simple Colours – Black, navy and nudes create a simple and elegant silhouette.
- Pick the Right Fabric – Chiffon and silk can overwhelm a short body shape, while clingy nylons will showcase lumps and bumps. Stick to simple cotton blends, wools and fabric with a little structure.
- Pick a Midi Heel – Everyone know heels can lengthen and slim our body but teetering around in skyscraper heels is difficult to do all the time. Look for a chunky daytime heel that adds just a few inches and elongates your body shape.
Follow our top tips for short curvy body shapes to add some serious style points to your wardrobe. Remember, the best things come in small packages so embrace your short, curvy frame and dress to impress.